French Beans is another favorite green vegetable often cooked as a sukhi sabji in India. It is healthy delicious variety which is often combined with everyone’s everyday favorite vegetable potato, especially kids, as it is easy to coax them to eat greens that way. Atleast, this is how I started as a child.
This dish is fairly easy to cook like any other sukhi sabji with lots of coriander masala powder and dash of lemon.
- Preparation Time: 0
- Cooking Time: 10-15 min
- Recipe Level: Easy
- Serves 2
- Source: Mom
- Cuisine: North Indian
- 1 large potato
- ½ kg of french beans
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 tsp shredded ginger
- Pinch of haldi or turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1½ tsp coriander powder
- Fresh cut lemon
- Salt to taste
- Chop french beans to small size and potatoes in cubes and keep aside
- In a kadhai, add oil followed by jeera.
- After jeera splutters, add ginger
- Now add potatoes to the kadhai.
- Once potatoes starts turning slight golden brown, add beans.
- Now add masala such as haldi, red chilly and coriander powder. Mix well
- Add salt and bit of lemon to the sabji. Mix well.
- Lid the kadhai and cook for another 10 min on slow burner until ready.
Aloo beans can be served hot with phulka, parantha or puri.
- Again instead of lemon, you may add amchur powder to get that chatpata taste
- Potatoes are added first as they take more time to cook compared to beans
- Cook french beans thoroughly. Best way is to lid the vessel while cooking. This ensures even cooking