Tomatoes, tomatoes and tomatoes. I picked up large quantities of tomatoes at Farm Fresh Produce Moss Landing, while driving back from Big Sur over the weekend. The produce here is insanely inexpensive. A pound of strawberry for 1.99, cherries for 2.99, artichokes for 1.99, tomatoes for .99 and many many more. Everything was fresh, ripe, appealing and low costing.
From a long time, I wanted to make tomato chutney using cherry tomatoes and stack it for everyday use but steep prices at Safeway prevented me from doing so. So when at this market, I found all colors – Red, orange, yellow, cherry tomatoes, my sunny day turned brighter. I was thrilled as it presented me the perfect opportunity to strike out Tomato Chutney from my wishlist.
It is tad too easy to make tomato chutney. Absolutely takes no talent or effort. And can be stored (refrigerated) upto 10 days. Tomato chutney is khatti, meethi and teekhi, and adds great flavor to everyday food. It’s sour, sweet, spicy taste makes a mouth watering side and goes with anything you name -phulka, puri, rice, bread, bhajji, samosa.
- Preparation Time: None
- Cooking Time: 5 – 8 min
- Recipe Level: Easy
- Serves many
- Source: Mummy
- Cuisine: North Indian
- 1 pound of (cherry) tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of ghee
- pinch of haldi or turmeric
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 2 – 3 green chillies
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Finely grated ginger
- 1 tbsp of salt
- Wash tomatoes and churn in a mixer grinder to make thick tomato puree.
- Heat a thick bottom pan and add ghee.
- Add the churned tomato puree to the pan. Add turmeric.
- Let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Now add chopped green chillies and grated ginger. Add salt.
- Cook for another 4 – 5 minutes as the puree thickens.
- Add sugar to the tomato mix. Mix well.
- Add garam masala and turn off the gas. Mix well. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Serve Tomato chutney hot or cold.
- No water should be added to tomato puree. It should be thick.
- Add ginger and chillies after cooking tomato puree for a bit. Do not fry ginger and chillies.
- Sugar crystals add’s shine to the tomato chutney.
- (Optionally) Add just a bit of red chilly powder to add color or spice.